Ruyterwacht Senior Centre (RSC) is a program of Badisa and was established in July 1988. It is currently looking after 300 impoverished senior citizens of all cultures and walks of life.
The characteristics of the Ruyterwacht Seniors are that they:
- are poor;
- are lonely;
- require physical support in the form of personal care;
- require personal and spiritual guidance;
- experience health problems;
- feel the need for socializing with others in their own peer group;
- feel the need to develop their own creativity ;
- consider human dignity to be of importance;
An analysis of the composition of the RSC members reveals that:
- The average age of members is 65 years;
- Members represent 43 different church groups;
- 32%, 24% and 5% respectively passed Standard 6, 8 en 10 (Grade 8, 10, and 12)
- 12% has no income, 75% of members have an income of less than R14000 p.m. Only 1% has an income more than R3 000-00 p.m.